[governance] remote paticipation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 19 09:07:22 EDT 2011

In message <AF2579D4-F9F9-44BD-A11A-C491B4FD3D2E at acm.org>, at 04:29:04
on Thu, 19 May 2011, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes

>On 19 May 2011, at 03:59, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
>> Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>>> If things change, other solutions might be preferable, but this one
>>> works, now, and we should embrace it.
>
>embrace seems a bit strong.
>if it works for all we should certainly use
>on the other hand if it doesn't work for everyone that is a concern.

Most of the "not working" I've seen seems to be due to things like the
hosts not plugging in the microphone. That's a problem which software
can't really solve (other than by allowing everyone to contact the
operator, which we've been doing).

>> Wishful thinking and denying that a problem exists does not
>> help someone for whom this "solution" does not work (like it
>> is the case for me, with a rather ordinary Ubuntu setup with
>> Adobe flash installed from the "Canonical partner repository",
>> so according to Roland's assertions the "solution" should
>> work, but in my actual experience that is not the case.)
>>
>> Wishful thinking and denying that a problem exists also does
>> not help to address the fundamental internet governance problem
>> that --because of the insufficient emphasis on strictly open
>> standards in key communication related areas-- there is strong
>> socioeconomic pressure to avoid using e.g. GNU/Linux.
>
>and also that it limits global remote participation.

Any solution will be limiting in one way or another. I'd be limited if
all I could see was the transcript or an audio feed, and my only way of
sending in questions was by email.

>of course even the way it was set up at the ITU, while for the most
>part one could listen - until the broke up in groups that is

That'll always happen when you get ad-hoc breakout groups and the
organisers don't have every possible meeting room/location wired up.

>- there was no way to actually participate as the did not enable and
>test those capabilities of Adobe.

I don't think that's a problem with Adobe - features of other systems
(of which I don't hear many specific suggestions) could also suffer from
not being used to the full.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org