[governance] remote paticipation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu May 19 04:29:04 EDT 2011

On 19 May 2011, at 03:59, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> If things change, other solutions might be preferable, but this one
>> works, now, and we should embrace it.

embrace seems a bit strong.
if it works for all we should certainly use
on the other hand if it doesn't work for everyone that is a concern.

> Wishful thinking and denying that a problem exists does not
> help someone for whom this "solution" does not work (like it
> is the case for me, with a rather ordinary Ubuntu setup with
> Adobe flash installed from the "Canonical partner repository",
> so according to Roland's assertions the "solution" should
> work, but in my actual experience that is not the case.)
>
> Wishful thinking and denying that a problem exists also does
> not help to address the fundamental internet governance problem
> that --because of the insufficient emphasis on strictly open
> standards in key communication related areas-- there is strong
> socioeconomic pressure to avoid using e.g. GNU/Linux.

and also that it limits global remote participation.

of course even the way it was set up at the ITU, while for the most part one could listen - until the broke up in groups that is - there was no way to actually participate as the did not enable and test those capabilities of Adobe.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org