[governance] Re: remote paticipation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 18 12:06:53 EDT 2011

In message <20110518151009.GA32598 at nic.fr>, at 17:10:09 on Wed, 18 May
2011, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> writes

>> If you want to exercise some central and dogmatic control of which
>> applications people are allowed to use on the Internet, I would have
>> expected a caucus such as IGC would be the last place you'd find
>> people agreeing.
>
>Incredibly poor and insulting reply. I think it is obvious that no one
>asked for that, but for the ability for people to use a standard
>protocol, instead of having to use a proprietary
>application. Internally, ITU can use what it wants but, for a public
>event, we should not have to explain to a standard development
>organization the point of standards!

I'm genuinely puzzled - you imply I have misunderstood, and then
apparently go on to say ITU should be told not to use Adobe Connect
(enforced by whom?)

Is there even an ITU (or similar) standard for video-conferencing, and
does anyone have a suitable client? It's a tricky application to get
right and Adobe Connect is the most user-friendly of the handful I've
seen deployed for meetings such as this.

I gave up shouting (because I do care) at people who sent me [inherently
proprietary] Word documents, or Excel Spreadsheets (both of which are
used extensively in UN and ITU), rather than some mythical "open
standard" version, years ago. There are more useful tides to try to turn
than this.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org