[governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri May 13 10:03:51 EDT 2011

Bill

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 09:43 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
>

>> In fact it is unfortunate how those opposed to strengthening the
>> policy role of the IGF have linked IGF recs necessarily to UN style
>> formal negotiations. Since there cannot be such negotiations at the
>> IGF, there cant be recs by the IGF - their simple but deliberately
>> fallacious logic.
>
> Yes there are a lot of actors who anticipate, based on WSIS and the
> wider history of global governance, that reconciling highly diverse
> views and preferences would require formal negotiations.  Aside from
> hoping that working groups could do things in a more rational and
> effective way, or proposing loose sense of the room messages, what
> have we offered them in the way of other models to work with?  How
> might one architect a collaborative process that sidestepped the kinds
> of dynamics they fear?  I don't think we (IGC, CS) have really
> contributed much out of the box thinking on this that would provide
> much basis for concerned parties to unclench, and meanwhile whenever
> governments speak to the matter they throw it back into the
> intergovernmental negotiation frame, not so helpful.

India had a detailed proposal for such IGF outcomes at the CSTD WG,
which was supported by most developing countries. And it not a throw
back to an inter-gov negotiation framework. It is very much
multistakeholder, with going into good detail on how multistakeholder
participation should be structured to make it more representative. What
are your views on that proposal.

> So we end up with polarization and immobility.  It's reminiscent of
> the situation circa 1994 with the definition of IG, it took orthogonal
> third way thinking from CS to uncork the thing.  We haven't done the
> same on "outcomes."

Give us your take on it. Many of us have been trying to suggest ways to
do it all these years. But if you think these attempts have not been
good enough, why dont you suggest something. Esp since you seem to
convey here that this is indeed an important thing to do.

>>> *
>>> *
>>> Maybe our French colleagues can clarify the precise agenda, but from
>>> what I'd hear this may be another one of those international events
>>> in which Sarko tries to launch some big new initiatives that's not
>>> been fully vetted with counterpart countries.  In this context, it'd
>>> be surprising if there are no recs or declarations of any sort being
>>> provided by the private sector heavies he's assembled.
>>
>> We think there will be, and we are afraid of that and are opposing
>> their non-inclusive nature. As is suggested from your earlier
>> examples of the Okinawa summit, these recs are likely to have a
>> powerful influence on what gets decided and announced by the G 8
>> meeting, which is likely to have a powerfu linflcuence on the future
>> of global IG. I am not clear why does this not bother you.
>
> You'd be a lot clearer if you eschewed misreading things into what I
> say.  I didn't say it doesn't bother me, it does.  All I said was
> holding up IGF's dysfunctional non-decision making model as a solution
> to the need for multistakeholder decision making seemed odd.

I said 'why doesnt it bother you' as a rhetoric. Ok, maybe 'does it not
bother you' would have served the rhetoric purpose. But I am indeed
amazed that if the IGF model is not even the right model for you for a
policy consultative process, which eG8 is supposed to be, what is the
IGF to you. I think most of us agree that it is not a policy making
forum. Then what is its purpose/ function for you? A global conference
on IG? A chat-space? Just curious to know.

Parminder

--

Parminder Jeet Singh
Executive Director