[governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed May 11 10:00:16 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 02:09 PM, William Drake wrote:

> On May 11, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>>
>> The proposed eG8 will not be a negotiating forum, any more than the
>> IGF. In that respect, it is nothing like the G8 meetings proper.  So
>> I don't see that there is an inconsistency here.
>
> I had a different impression based on the side events of past 68
> summits,  For example the Okinawa summit released the World Ec Forum's
> report and recs on the global digital divide (which I wrote) and the
> main meeting endorsed their thrust and promised cash (which generally
> failed to materialize). Other summits have made similarly declarations
> on cybersecurity and whatnot that came in part from non-IGO adjuncts.
> And the news reportage on this one
> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/internet-g8-to-be-held-in-paris-on-24-25-may says
>  The "Internet G8", a conference to be held in Paris on 24-25 May
> before the official G8 summit in Deauville, has been conceived t*o
> generate debate and ultimately a set of proposals from private sector
> stakeholders for the consideration of the eight heads of government,*

All these recs of the side events are made without formal negotiating
processes, isnt it.... In fact these are good examples to show how
deliberative processes can arrive at recs, wthout formal negotiations.
(In fact, you say, you wrote the recs on global digital divide, that
hardly looks like a negotiation process). In fact it is unfortunate how
those opposed to strengthening the policy role of the IGF have linked
IGF recs necessarily to UN style formal negotiations. Since there cannot
be such negotiations at the IGF, there cant be recs by the IGF - their
simple but deliberately fallacious logic.
> *
> *
> Maybe our French colleagues can clarify the precise agenda, but from
> what I'd hear this may be another one of those international events in
> which Sarko tries to launch some big new initiatives that's not been
> fully vetted with counterpart countries.  In this context, it'd be
> surprising if there are no recs or declarations of any sort being
> provided by the private sector heavies he's assembled.

We think there will be, and we are afraid of that and are opposing their
non-inclusive nature. As is suggested from your earlier examples of the
Okinawa summit, these recs are likely to have a powerful influence on
what gets decided and announced by the G 8 meeting, which is likely to
have a powerfu linflcuence on the future of global IG. I am not clear
why does this not bother you.

>  And if so, then the IGF is sort of an odd model to say they should
> follow, no?

We see IGF as a public participation/ consultation model for Internet
policy making, and thus we think that its model should be used for all
forums that are supposed to input public opinion (or that of all
stakeholders) into formal policy making processes.

parminder

--

Parminder Jeet Singh
Executive Director