[governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 3 07:50:38 EDT 2011

Hi Lee

On Tuesday 03 May 2011 04:33 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> If I recall correctly G7 meetings as far back as...95? 93? 97 at latest...had similar themes, albeit with phraseology then around the more inclusive 'information society.'
Yes, even the idea of ICTD was born at G 8 meetings, wrapped in very
alien ideologies, and it has never recovered from this accident of its
birth. We in devleoping countries know how we suffer this fact, and how
ICTD consequently has remained distanced from traditional development
practice. As a result, the best opportunities of ICTs for development
have not been able to be realized.

> OK in my recollection there was a broader less commercial agenda back then than the 2011 version, back in the day, with cs folks more likely prominent on the agenda.
That is not  a small difference. If civil society participation, or to
use a more fashionable term, multistakeholderism, is being pushed back
in the plurilateral meetings (with global impact), why is civil society
quite. Why does it reserve all its - instinctive and intense -
opposition and venom for UN processes, which, whatever else may be said
about them, are certainly better than those of these rich country clubs.

Why there is such a powerful rhetoric around the slogan of 'UN (read
developing country govs) take over of the Internet' and none about 'rich
countries takeover of the Internet in partnership with mega-corporates',
which is where we surely seem to be headed. How some discourses are
manufactured so easily, and others are simply not allowed to
precipitate. While the IG civil society is largely organized around 'UN
take over of the Internet' slogan/ banner and it is so difficult to
build civil society mass around addressing  the other, now much larger,
danger?
> But point is high level showcase schmooze-athons have been going on at or near this level for quite some time, related to Internet.
>
> If one for whatever reason gets close to being part of agenda - it is a big pain and probably not worth cost to any cs org. In my experience from walking away from getting sucked into such things in past.
>
> Except for largest/wealthiest cs orgs, it is very hard to play at this level.
 From what you are saying, can we agree then that the UN processes,
where at least some openings are always there for relatively outsider
groups to participate, are a much better bet for us, I mean the global
IG civil society.  But can you take the UN system haters among the CS
along on this. Such hatred may still be ok if the same people were not
so so friendly with the government reps of these rich countries, and not
only that, together they make such elaborate show of die hard support
for multistakeholderism in UN forums, and disdain developing country
governments, or even civil society actors who may be more policy
institutions oriented.

Can we, in the above background, safely say that the multistakeholder
show of the developed countires at UN is simply a ruse - and  a quite
successful one till date - to resist inclusion of developing countries
in any global govenrance regimes for the Internet? Whereby, we must then
also question the role IG civil society has, willy nilly, been playing
in this global 'game'. I suggest this is time for such intense
retrospection by the IGC and other civil society actors.

Some of the above posers may be deliberatively provocative, but we need
to ask some hard questions from ourselves.

Parminder