[governance] Internet G8 meeting

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:13:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Hi Lee

<snip>

> From what you are saying, can we agree then that the UN processes, where at
> least some openings are always there for relatively outsider groups to
> participate, are a much better bet for us, I mean the global IG civil
> society.

Why is it a choice between one (UN) or or the other (G8)?

CS should embrace its current opportunities to participate in global
IG more than we do currently.  There are existing processes which give
us a voice, why would we want to choose between 2 fora that offer us
little to no voice?

  But can you take the UN system haters among the CS along on this.
> Such hatred may still be ok if the same people were not so so friendly with
> the government reps of these rich countries, and not only that, together
> they make such elaborate show of die hard support for multistakeholderism in
> UN forums, and disdain developing country governments, or even civil society
> actors who may be more policy institutions oriented.
>
> Can we, in the above background, safely say that the multistakeholder show
> of the developed countires at UN is simply a ruse - and  a quite successful
> one till date - to resist inclusion of developing countries in any global
> govenrance regimes for the Internet?

No, we can't safely say that at all.

--
Cheers,