[governance] Internet G8 meeting

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue May 3 07:03:22 EDT 2011

Parminder,

If I recall correctly G7 meetings as far back as...95? 93? 97 at latest...had similar themes, albeit with phraseology then around the more inclusive 'information society.'

OK in my recollection there was a broader less commercial agenda back then than the 2011 version, back in the day, with cs folks more likely prominent on the agenda.

But point is high level showcase schmooze-athons have been going on at or near this level for quite some time, related to Internet.

If one for whatever reason gets close to being part of agenda - it is a big pain and probably not worth cost to any cs org. In my experience from walking away from getting sucked into such things in past.

Except for largest/wealthiest cs orgs, it is very hard to play at this level.

Maybe, instead of worrying about sales pitches from corporates at G7, you could...work the system towards a more cs-friendly G-20 showcase?

(I suspect you may know people who people who...could make it so.) Frankly if global cs were to play, it would more likely be worth our bother to aim for a 2012 G20 meeting.

 Though Paris in spring is always pleasant. But G20 is where the markets and - policy action - is these days anyways.

Lee