[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Mar 24 17:56:45 EDT 2011

On Friday 25 March 2011 12:52 AM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>>> It doesn't work like that. Roughly 50% of the members wear a
>>> government hat. Some of the remaining members wear several hats. And
>>> some members don't belong to a specific group of stakeholders.
>>
>> this is not really true.... selections are clearly stakehollder group
>> based... this just repesenting oneself is a fantasy that is neither true
>> not logical
>
> Hi Parminder, it is easy to imagine how you would respond if somebody
> referred to your reply as a fantasy. Particularly if you hadn't even
> said what, in the reader's view, constitutes a fantasy. I know it is
> completely pointless to say this, and I hope I won't be punished with
> a two page response. Still, sometimes I don't feel like backing off.

Jeanette

It is an officially stated position, especially in varoius MAG reforms
discussions, that selection is stakeholder group based. The current
discussion here in the WG on IGF improvements is on increasing
'representation' of under represented groups, including developing
countries. In this context, contesting stakeholder group or constituency
basis of membership of the MAG makes a discussion on improving
representation of marginalized group quite meaningless. That is my
problem, coming from being situated in the middle of such a discussion
here in the WG, which triggered my response. I am sorry that the term
offended you. It was used in the sense of a 'good imagined thing that
doesnt happen in reality' and not meant specifically for what you said
but for the general 'just representing oneself' proposition often made
in this kind of a discussion.

Parminder