[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Mar 26 10:34:10 EDT 2011

Parminder:
When did you become such an adherent of the ideology of "stakeholderism"? I thought you were healthily critical of it. One of the key problems with MSism is that there are no clear boundaries between stakeholder groups, esp in civil society, and the process of selecting "representatives" of such groups is fraught with opportunities for manipulation. The claim, for example, that marginalized people in developing countries are represented by their governments, whose policies are often the cause of their lack of resources and marginalization, needs to be questioned.
--MM

It is an officially stated position, especially in varoius MAG reforms discussions, that selection is stakeholder group based. The current discussion here in the WG on IGF improvements is on increasing 'representation' of under represented groups, including developing countries. In this context, contesting stakeholder group or constituency basis of membership of the MAG makes a discussion on improving representation of marginalized group quite meaningless. That is my problem, coming from being situated in the middle of such a discussion here in the WG, which triggered my response. I am sorry that the term offended you. It was used in the sense of a 'good imagined thing that doesnt happen in reality' and not meant specifically for what you said but for the general 'just representing oneself' proposition often made in this kind of a discussion.

Parminder

jeanette

The member list is here:

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/magabout/406-mag-2010

jeanette

and the division between developing and developed

countries?

That would be much appreciated

Marilia
--