[governance] CSTD WG on IGF meeting started

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Mar 24 07:30:26 EDT 2011

Adam, thanks and it is true that we have not YET discussed the
participation from developing countries. And the stats are no well
captured.

Having said that, number of participants is one indicator, but not all - I mean
number of Key players, speakers, etc. and discussions around, could be
different -
I mean there still seem to be less "active" players from developing
parts of the world, but it is difficult to "prove".

izumi

2011/3/24 Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>:
> Thanks Izumi.
>
> I think we've heard quite a lot of comments about the lack of participation
> from developing countries (China's submission for example.)  Participation's
> clearly dependent on location of the meeting, Vilnius strongly favored West
> and Eastern Europe sure, Hyderabad saw a high percentage from the host
> country.
>
> Vilnius attendance information
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2010/Stats.2010.pdf>
>
> Sharm attendance information
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/content/article/87-programme/484-igf-sharm-el-sheikh-attendance-statistics>
>
> Hyderabad
> <http://igf.wgig.org/cms/index.php/component/content/article/42-igf-meetings/414-attendance-breakdown-of-the-hyderabad-meeting>
>
> Rio <http://igf.wgig.org/cms/rio_stats.htm>
>
> Can't find for Athens, must be somewhere.
>
> Participation from developing countries needs to be encouraged and
> supported, but stats we have seem to suggest there is participation from
> most regions (Latin American low).  But the information's lacking, unless
> someone wished to go through the list of attendees country by country.
>
> And I hope government of Canada's support for developing country
> participation will be acknowledged and Canada thanked.
>
> Adam
>

>> The CSTD WG meeting started this morning.
>> I made a short presentation on the disaster and the role of ICT/Internet
>> before we started the discussion on the Report. It may not directly
>> touch the IGF per se, but I feel compelled to report, first, and also
>> I think it is very much a governance issue, and the role of Internet
>> be also questioned.
>>
>> After a few round of comments, we have entered into discussion
>> of Point 2,4, and 5 since they are inter-related, following suggestion
>> from India.
>> (though my concentration is not good enough, so I may missed some
>> key points)...
>>
>> izumi
>>

>> --
>>                        >> Izumi Aizu <<
>>
>>          Institute for InfoSocionomics, Tama University, Tokyo
>>
>>           Institute for HyperNetwork Society, Oita,
>>                                  Japan
>>                                 * * * * *
>>           << Writing the Future of the History >>
>>                                www.anr.org