[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 23 03:30:25 EDT 2011

This case is very much on the lines of the case of Taipei City
government imposing a fine on google (which spawned an important
discussion).

Do Milton and others who seemed to have great reservation about
appropriateness of Taipie city government's regulatory competence in
that case still think, after reading about the case of unilateral
withdrawal of google service, still think that users of these services
should have no legal recourse with accountable public governance entity?

If local or national governments should *not* be the entity that people
should be able to turn to, and these governments should *not* have the
regulatory competence, who should?

I cannot see how can we have any coherent IG related position and any
meaningful IG related discussion without clearly answering these
questions, or at least strongly engaging with them. these questions are
what really matter.

It is even more inappropriate for those not to engage with these
questions who live in countries where google is headquartered and they
thus have legal recourse against such actions (even if much more
circuitous and difficult than it should be), or those who live in places
where google's economic interests are so deep that it readily responds
to ad hoc strong signs from the governments. Is not a rule of law based
on democratic principles the most appropriate response to these
problems. To me, this is the most basic internet governance issue today.
We need to know where we stand vis a vis this all-important question.

Parminder