[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:31:09 EDT 2011

Ginger,

I don't know any more but below is what I wrote to a different list where
this is being discussed and where the suggestion was made that Google might
allow a 3rd party intermediary to offer "ombusdman" services as a
recourse...

At some point quantity becomes quality. The fact that Google is dominant
(almost a monopoly) in certain crucial areas, that it is offering an
increasingly seamless integration of crucial services which is very much a
monopoly (no one else can offer that degree of transparent integration).
These in itself, I think, put Google in a very special position in the
cybersphere. It also presents it with very special responsibilities and I
would argue (and I think many, including legislators might, once confronted
with a situation such as this one, agree) with very significant
social/public obligations.

Identity "theft" is of course a serious crime, but what about a corporation
"losing/destroying" what is in effect someone's identity -- by accident, by
incompetence, by individual or corporate malpractice, or even by design but
without recourse or appeal.

This case seems to be someone in the US which makes it rather less
complicated than if they were European for example, in which case it might
be something that the European Parliament or the Commission might be very
interested in taking a look at, with all the extra-territorial issues
involved including differences in philosophical and practicla approaches to
data and identitymanagement, privacy etc.etc.
I don't think that this is the kind of thing that in the medium or longer
term where Google will be able to "outsource" its responsibilty.