[governance] Re: The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

Sonigitu Ekpe soekpe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 07:55:19 EDT 2011

Thank you Roland.

People feel fine once they get quality services.

The discussion thread do not need leapfogging, but the way forward.

Warm wishes,

Sonigitu

On 17 Jul 2011 12:09, "Roland Perry" <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>
wrote:

In message <CAJwbTiDaiUhk-h97Yr3n8zcF6_**TSH0kSDXJ-gn3H3aJXhu5RRA at mail.**
gmail.com<CAJwbTiDaiUhk-h97Yr3n8zcF6_TSH0kSDXJ-gn3H3aJXhu5RRA at mail.gmail.com>>,
at 22:18:25 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro@**gmail.com<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>>
writes

> I would like to link the reason why I asked the questions back to the
> general thread: if the i...
Airlines are "public" transport (in the sense that anyone can use them. They
are even publicly owned in some cases (less so in modern times I agree).
None of this makes it the same price to fly inside Africa (which I
understand is also an issue) as to fly inside Europe or the USA.

>  I do not know much about Kenya except for the little I have read but I
> will say this, it is e...
People are entitles to complain, but I am also entitled to point out that
there are good reasons for the difference in costs. It's not a conspiracy by
the developed world, and indeed much of the developed world had the same
costs as recently as a decade ago. Rather than sit waiting for someone to
give you a free lunch, why not try to solve the problem by investing in
connectivity, just like everyone else had to?

> I don't think the paper agreed with you, it actually disagreed with
> your position.

It agreed with me that it's users (not ISPs) who pay. That's half the
original proposition shot down in flames. Yes, we disagree from there
onwards!

> In principle, the point is that an ordinary user in a
> developing world (Kenya) had to be force...
They aren't being forced to pay *anyone* else's cost. The cost is the cost
of connecting to the Internet. It's not my fault they currently live
somewhere far from the Interconnections which *define* "The Internet", and
that Americans live nearer.

You might as well say it's someone's fault that a Kenyan has to pay a
fortune in travelling expense to visit Disneyland, but a Florida resident
doesn't. Answer: build your own Disneyland closer to home, rather than
forcing an airline to cross the Atlantic for nothing.

> Back to the internet as a "public" good - if it is how then can the
> governance forum address t...
If you want to fix the problem (and there *is* a problem), then *please*
express it using the correct parameters. You'll never make progress trying
to cure the *wrong* disease, any more than you'll cure a brain tumour by
taking aspirin for the headache (or passing a law that says everyone must
have cheap aspirin available).

Roland.

--
Roland Perry