[governance] Re: The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Jul 17 07:08:02 EDT 2011

In message
<CAJwbTiDaiUhk-h97Yr3n8zcF6_TSH0kSDXJ-gn3H3aJXhu5RRA at mail.gmail.com>, at
22:18:25 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes

>I would like to link the reason why I asked the questions back to the
>general thread: if the internet is "public" why is it that some get
>marginalised.

Airlines are "public" transport (in the sense that anyone can use them.
They are even publicly owned in some cases (less so in modern times I
agree). None of this makes it the same price to fly inside Africa (which
I understand is also an issue) as to fly inside Europe or the USA.

> I do not know much about Kenya except for the little I have read but I
>will say this, it is easy for you to say that people should stop
>whinging about high international internet costs.

People are entitles to complain, but I am also entitled to point out
that there are good reasons for the difference in costs. It's not a
conspiracy by the developed world, and indeed much of the developed
world had the same costs as recently as a decade ago. Rather than sit
waiting for someone to give you a free lunch, why not try to solve the
problem by investing in connectivity, just like everyone else had to?

>I don't think the paper agreed with you, it actually disagreed with
>your position.

It agreed with me that it's users (not ISPs) who pay. That's half the
original proposition shot down in flames. Yes, we disagree from there
onwards!

>In principle, the point is that an ordinary user in a
>developing world (Kenya) had to be forced and probably is still being
>forced to carry someone else's cost. Where is the fairness/equity?

They aren't being forced to pay *anyone* else's cost. The cost is the
cost of connecting to the Internet. It's not my fault they currently
live somewhere far from the Interconnections which *define* "The
Internet", and that Americans live nearer.

You might as well say it's someone's fault that a Kenyan has to pay a
fortune in travelling expense to visit Disneyland, but a Florida
resident doesn't. Answer: build your own Disneyland closer to home,
rather than forcing an airline to cross the Atlantic for nothing.

>Back to the internet as a "public" good - if it is how then can the
>governance forum address these issues. To you it may be a half a
>circuit fallacy but to the people in the developing world this is a
>harsh reality.

If you want to fix the problem (and there *is* a problem), then *please*
express it using the correct parameters. You'll never make progress
trying to cure the *wrong* disease, any more than you'll cure a brain
tumour by taking aspirin for the headache (or passing a law that says
everyone must have cheap aspirin available).

Roland.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org