[governance] Re: The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 06:18:25 EDT 2011

@ Roland:
I would like to link the reason why I asked the questions back to the
general thread: if the internet is "public" why is it that some get
marginalised.

 I do not know much about Kenya except for the little I have read but I will
say this, it is easy for you to say that people should stop whinging about
high international internet costs.

In the Pacific, where I come from, this is a huge issue. Take Vanuatu, a
country in the South Pacific, I have friends who live there who pay around
$50US for 186kbps a month and this is "crap speed" and they are forced to
pay this even if they do not get good QoS or connectivity. Take Fiji where I
come from, even though the Competition Authority has liberalised the
international gateway, we are still witnessing high retail internet prices.
For developing countries who already have limited resources, ICT is often
not the priority. We have all kinds of challenges and the regulatory
environment hinders the management of things like "access deficit". Our
jurisdictions face things like having poor anti dumping laws.

I don't think the paper agreed with you, it actually disagreed with your
position. In principle, the point is that an ordinary user in a developing
world (Kenya) had to be forced and probably is still being forced to carry
someone else's cost. Where is the fairness/equity?

Back to the internet as a "public" good - if it is how then can the
governance forum address these issues. To you it may be a half a circuit
fallacy but to the people in the developing world this is a harsh reality.
Whilst studies done such as that by the World Bank show that ICT has
revolutionised economic development in developing countries by showing that
for every 10% increase in broadband penetration leads to 1.38% increase in
GDP (World Bank Study 2009 by Wei and Rossotto), the reality is that there
are challenges to increasing this broadband penetration.

These issues need to be discussed. Whilst the ITU is a good Forum, you will
recognise that its membership is restricted to governments and Telcos/
Vendors etc. However, the IGF is a good place to have these issues discussed
and if you think that it has been overly discussed, please go to another
session that interests you or ignore this thread and start another thread on
another topic that interests you.

Sala

--
Sala