AW: [governance] Position for the Executive Coordinator of the IGF Secretariat advertised by the United Nations

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jul 2 03:31:51 EDT 2011

On Friday 01 July 2011 01:05 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I encourage senior members of the IGC to apply for the position of the IGF Executive Secretary (ES).
>
> Here are some first quick observations:
>
> 1. there is no mentoning of the MAG. The formulation is, that the ES "directs and manages the organization of meetings, seminars, etc., of the IGF and related advisory bodies and stakeholder networks." Interesting to see how those "advisory bodies" (plural!!!) and "stakeholder networks" (not "multistakeholder" networks) will be constituted and which role they will play.
>
> 2. the previous role of the "Chair of the MAG" (which was Nitin Desai) is abolished. The ES is at the same time also the adviser to the USG (Sha) and the Special Adviser on Internet Governance to the UN Secretary General, a position which had Nitin from 2002 to 2010.

I dont think this is what is meant by the para in the job posting

            *       Contributes to the formulation of overall strategies and policies
            for the IGF by participating in various committees, preparing
            documents on policy issues, and acting, as required, in an advisory
            capacity to the USG/ASG and Special Adviser of the Secretary-General
            for Internet Governance.

As per my understanding, what is meant here is that the Executive
Coordinator will act in advisory capacity to the USG/ASG and to the (yet
non existent) Special Advisor of the Sec General for Internet Governance.

Parminder