[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:49:57 EST 2011

It is critical that in analysing and assessing the Egypt situation that a
few additional questions are asked ,eg.

1) What is the status of the regulator, is it independent or subject to
political pressure?
2)Did Vodafone Egypt take the matter to Court, if it did, what was it
outcome?
3)Has the judiciary gone through IG Capacity training?
4)Do the Members of Parliament in Egypt have adequate understanding of the
value of ICT as an enabler for economic development?
5)Was there a threat against Vodafone Egypt that they would have their
licence suspended if they did not comply and how real was that perceived
threat and was it enough to justify their commercial decision to retain
their capacity to provide other services other than as an ISP?
6)Has Vodafone Egypt initiated a Judicial Review against the decision, how
long is it likely to take?
7) In the event that Vodafone Egypt is not likely to face adequate redress,
are there international mechanisms in place where Vodafone Egypt can find
redress and would those redress be recognisable in Egypt?

Clearly, there is no "short term" answer and any short term answer that
exists are merely band aid solutions. We need to address globally as a
community the philosophy that needs to emerge to adequately address these
issues and many more.

Kind Regards,

Sala