[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Jan 30 15:23:30 EST 2011

In message
<AANLkTink+L_kZpdbhQ_nT_WJ3q-=pFg1PFbaVJTLmKv3 at mail.gmail.com>, at
07:49:57 on Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes
>It is critical that in analysing and assessing the Egypt situation that
>a few additional questions are asked ,eg.
>
>1) What is the status of the regulator, is it independent or subject to
>political pressure?
>2)Did Vodafone Egypt take the matter to Court, if it did, what was it
>outcome?
>3)Has the judiciary gone through IG Capacity training?
>4)Do the Members of Parliament in Egypt have adequate understanding of
>the value of ICT as an enabler for economic development?
>5)Was there a threat against Vodafone Egypt that they would have their
>licence suspended if they did not comply and how real was that
>perceived threat and was it enough to justify their commercial decision
>to retain their capacity to provide other services other than as an ISP?
>6)Has Vodafone Egypt initiated a Judicial Review against the decision,
>how long is it likely to take?
>7) In the event that Vodafone Egypt is not likely to face adequate
>redress, are there international mechanisms in place where Vodafone
>Egypt can find redress and would those redress be recognisable in Egypt

If Egypt has a completely new government in a week's time, can Vodafone
usefully sue them for something that happened under the overthrown
regime?

And if the old regime continues, is it a good idea for a network to sue
the government for failing to let them (as it would be argued) assist
the protesters?

I think they are between a rock and a hard place, either way.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org