[governance] net neutrality

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Jan 23 14:52:44 EST 2011

Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:

> Sir Tim would make a great headliner for Nairobi, and his call for
> W3C's open standards certainly resonate.
>
> W3C has been brilliant at staying out of political cross-fires even
> when touching on issues of major economic impact.
>
> Though at least to me there's always been a touch of irony in an
> 'open' standards organization built on pricey memberships for
> multinationals predominantly.  Individuals need not apply, since
> there is no individual membership category.

Indeed.

Please let's add, to the IGC Statement on the Nairobi meeting
programme, an explicit reference to the need to discuss the
importance of truly open standards on the internet -- and not just
on the layers where IETF and W3C are active, but also at the
application data layer, for example document formats. (Example in
point: Microsoft's attack on the ODF standard by pushing their own
format into ISO as a competing "standard".)

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org