[governance] net neutrality

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Sun Jan 23 20:24:52 EST 2011

O have not followed the debate in details (I could not read all articles
and posts),  I would like to see what exactly Parminder wants for the
NN to be discussed in Nairobi IGF.

Could you write a short para to be included in our draft statement?
Or, could you make suggestions to the existing text Jeremy provided?

That will, for me, make the discussion more effective.

On the substantive side, I mostly agree with Adam that while
arguing for the "principle" from the Civil Society is relatively
easy, especially if we use the term "open" instead of, or in addition
to, "neutrality", making the case exactly what we want may not be
so easy including its implementation at the "global" level.

I was the member of the Policy Working Group on Network Neutrality
convened by Japanese MIC, and also my organization offered the
English Translation of its final report (when the Ministry said they had
no budget), which is found here:

http://www.soumu.go.jp/main_sosiki/joho_tsusin/eng/pdf/070900_1.pdf

I also wrote the following article "Beyond Network Neutrality"
http://www.ni.tama.ac.jp/imgdir/1250002757.pdf

Parminder, are you asking for the need for new global mechanism
which has real impact at the local and the national level beyond
existing regime such as national regulatory framework and ITU etc
in telecom?

And/or are you asking for getting some sort of consensus among *all*
stakeholders at IGF in Nairobi?  Or at least raising the issue from the
CS to get other stakeholders' attention that this is the crucial issue
worth to discuss.

izumi

2011/1/24 Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>:
> Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:
>
>> Sir Tim would make a great headliner for Nairobi, and his call for
>> W3C's open standards certainly resonate.
>>
>> W3C has been brilliant at staying out of political cross-fires even
>> when touching on issues of major economic impact.
>>
>> Though at least to me there's always been a touch of irony in an
>> 'open' standards organization built on pricey memberships for
>> multinationals predominantly.  Individuals need not apply, since
>> there is no individual membership category.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Please let's add, to the IGC Statement on the Nairobi meeting
> programme, an explicit reference to the need to discuss the
> importance of truly open standards on the internet -- and not just
> on the layers where IETF and W3C are active, but also at the
> application data layer, for example document formats. (Example in
> point: Microsoft's attack on the ODF standard by pushing their own
> format into ISO as a competing "standard".)
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<