[governance] some notes on the CSTD inter-sessional on 17th Dec

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 5 04:54:45 EST 2011

Hi

A happy new year to all!

Since much has been lamented about what came out of the CSTD
inter-sessional, let me start my notes by trying to give it a positive
spin.

My impression is that something very remarkable and perhaps
unprecedented happened on the 17th in the CSTD inter-sessional meeting
which is an important step forward in global governance (I have some
misgivings too about 'this step' forward which I will discuss in another
email). I may be wrong and those more well versed with UN system may
correct me, but this may be the very first time that a 'substantive' UN
body,  with  political  membership  and status and not just  an  expert
group,  will have  some specified non-gov permanent  'invited
participants'  who  'will remain engaged through-out the process'.
Importantly, these participants are not just 'outside experts' but
'representatives' of groups other than states.

To the extent that I think this is a big step, in the end, in some ways
it may even be better that the WG group is not a Chair's WG, which would
have meant an 'experts group' only giving advise which does not
constitute a substantive UN body's report, but it is actually a CSTD WG,
and thus based on political representation and not expertise alone. ( I
may be reading too much into this, and would be happy for a discussion
on this issue.)

In any case, our (my organisation's) initial position was a WGIG kind of
a group. (The WGIG model for the new WG on IGF improvements,
incidentally, was opposed by many business and technical community
members at Vilnius.) I have been a great fan of WGIG model and have
suggested a few times that MAG should rather try to work more in that
model than its typical abdicating mode when faced with substantive
issues, which alone can make the IGF more productive. However there has
been little engagement from the IGC to forward such a model within the
IGF system. Anyway, this is just to affirm my support for the WGIG model.

Much of the contestation during ther CSTD meeting, whose real substance
and motives perhaps lie elsewhere, took place around whether the
proposed WG was a Chair's WG or a CSTD WG. The former could be formed
more or less in whichever manner the Chair decides, and would be an
expert group advising the CSTD, after which the commission could decide
to do what it liked in its substantive communication to ECOSOC and GA. A
CSTD WG on the other hand will be  a political body with membership
based on political status. The text of the UN GA resolution indeed had
some amount of ambiguity about it being a experts group or an
substantive CSTD WG.

    18. Welcomes the decision by the Economic and Social Council in
    paragraph 30 of its resolution 2010/2 to invite the Chair of the
    Commission on Science and Technology for Development to establish,
    in an open and inclusive manner, a working group which would seek,
    compile and review inputs from all Member States and all other
    stakeholders on improvements to the Internet  Governance Forum, in
    line with the mandate set out in the Tunis Agenda,4 and which would
    submit a report to the Commission at its fourteenth session, in
    2011, with recommendations, as appropriate, that would constitute an
    input by the Commission to the General Assembly, through the
    Economic and Social Council;

While it was the Chair who was invited to form a WG (which could be a
Chair's WG or as well be a CSTD WG), the last part of the above para is
significant in saying that the report of the WG will 'constitute an
input by the Commission to the General Assembly, through the Economic
and Social Council'. To me,  it really does look very unlikely that an
expert group assembled by the chair could give a report which will be
considered 'an input *by *the commission to the GA'.

While I was still rooting for a WGIG model during the meeting, I could
see that the developing countries group was clear - they were no way
going to shift from their conviction that it was to be a CSTD WG. (Sure,
it served their political objective too for it to be a CSTD WG. I dont
say they were not pressing their politics here as were other actors who
were present.) This dev countries group pointed to the description 'CSTD
WG' that has been mentioned in all documents regarding various meetings
etc on this issue, apart from their interpretation of the text.

If it indeed was to be a substantive CSTD WG with political membership,
their stand that non-gov participants cannot be equal and full members
looked difficult to argue against (though I was still trying to argue
that this is a very new context etc). That would be in violation of all
rules and precedents, even perhaps of general political sensibilities.

So either this group agreed that it was a Chair's expert group, which I
realized was not going to happen, or we tried to find  what best could
be done within the CSTD WG formula. Within this formula there were two
options being proposed at this point.

One was Egypt's proposal of multistakeholder task forces around specific
sub-issues that would input their report/ recommendations to the WG
proper which was to be inter-gov. Second was Brazil's proposal of each
meeting of WG having speaker/ participants from stakeholder groups,
leaving it to the stakeholders to decide the speakers/ participants.
(This later proposal has the problem that only a continuous
participation of the same non-gov participants throughout the WG's life
is really meaningful.)

 To proceed from what looked like a Chair's WG versus CSTD WG stalemate,
seeing that dev countries were not going to move from their
understanding of it being a CSTD WG, I proposed a new formula to one of
the most active developing country participant - that of permanent
'invited participants' 'who will remain fully engaged throughout the
process'. To me, this appeared the best we could get, and still a
considerable step forward.

The mentioned dev country rep then suggested the text 'The Chair invites
the following stakeholders to participate in the Working Group....'
which is 'the' key part of the agreed document now. I directly suggested
to the chair to add the part 'will remain fully engaged throughout the
process' which she graciously did. I thought this statement can be used
to assure a fair amount of space and rights within the WG. Later, a
developed country rep, pursuing a similar line of thought, asked for
inclusion of the word 'interactively' - as in 'interactively
participate'. This was very useful. What we were trying here was to get
some text in to try and guarantee that once the WG is set up, more
excluding norms may not evolve by practise.

Pushing it further towards greater equality of status of non-gov
participants, Anriette suggested  that the text be changed to 'chair
invites to join' rather than participate. This text went up for a while
but got removed later.

I think that overall it may not be too bad a deal we got. I would much
prefer that we now move on to discussing what substantive changes or
improvements we want to see in the IGF. If we get a good set of 5 people
in, we can use the civil society's greater readiness to come up with new
ideas, develop implementable details around them etc to make some really
good impact.

We need to talk and collaborate with the business and technical
community as we need to with gov reps for pushing what we want to see
happen (and to figure that out is more important). However, developing
any kind of grand alliance with a shrill anti dev country govs rhetoric
may not be the best thing to do now. Yes, our interests are shared vis a
vis greater openness of processes, and we will need to huddle together
every time new efforts get made to demote the level of participation of
nongov stakeholders in the WG processes. But that is a tactical thing we
have always been doing. We may have known convergences in a few
substantive areas - like our opposition to moving the IGF secretariat to
NY and the desire for keeping it independent etc.... However, there are
also a large number of divergences in key areas where the idea may be to
make IGF as a more valuable institution to be able to really contribute
to global IG related policies. These areas may be the more important
ones to focus on in terms of real IGF improvements.

In this regard, apart from mentioning how the IGF should complement, and
thus contribute to, the proposed process of enhanced cooperation which
would directly deal with global Internet policy issues, the relevant
part of the GA resolution also gives a significant pointer of the
directions in which it would like to see improvements in the IGF .

"....... while recognizing at the same time the need to improve it
(IGF), with a view to linking it to the broader dialogue on global
Internet governance".

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org