[governance] some notes on the CSTD inter-sessional on 17th Dec

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jan 5 05:27:27 EST 2011

In message <4D243FE5.4050907 at itforchange.net>, at 15:24:45 on Wed, 5 Jan
2011, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes

        "18. Welcomes the decision by the Economic and Social Council in
        paragraph 30 of its resolution 2010/2 to invite the Chair of the
        Commission on Science and Technology for Development to
        establish, in an open and inclusive manner, a working group
        which would seek, compile and review inputs from all Member
        States and all other stakeholders on improvements to the
        Internet Governance Forum, in line with the mandate set out in
        the Tunis Agenda,4 and which would submit a report to the
        Commission at its fourteenth session, in 2011, with
        recommendations, as appropriate, that would constitute an input
        by the Commission to the General Assembly, through the Economic
        and Social Council;

>While it was the Chair who was invited to form a WG (which could be a
>Chair's WG or as well be a CSTD WG), the last part of the above para is
>significant in saying that the report of the WG will 'constitute an
>input by the Commission to the General Assembly, through the Economic
>and Social Council'. To me,  it really does look very unlikely that an
>expert group assembled by the chair could give a report which will be
>considered 'an input by the commission to the GA'.

From my experience of the way that the CSTD/ECOSOC works, I think the WG
will produce a report, and that report will be presented[1] to the
Commission, and the Commission will create[2] and agree[3] a separate
"Draft ECOSOC Resolution", and it's that draft resolution which will be
the 'recommendation' and 'input' sent to ECOSOC (for further discussion
and later transmission to GA).

R.

[1] Both as an input paper and a discussion item
[2] Most of this work done before the physical meeting, and would echo
     the report's conclusions closely.
[3] Much of this work in late-night sessions, I expect
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org