[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Feb 24 11:54:05 EST 2011

>1.  Both city-TLDs and linguistic/cultural TLDs are long overdue.
>Had the Net's inventors known the scope the Net would take, they'd
>certainly have taken greater care in issuing a more robust DNS
>taxonomy. But with cities being the hope for a sustainable future
>(if you believe in that sort of stuff)  I suggest they get first priority
I am sorry but, Robert Tréhin introduced the root name concept (TLDs)
and I was the one who established the country code taxonomy (ISO
3166) and imposed a hierarchical naming structure (in 1978 by logical
pure technical mistake as the code was not planned for it). I am sure
we both regret the scope the Nets have been limited to by the
temporary change in nature of names from belonging to a universal
user naming plan of the digital ecosystem, to a limited
identification business and political tool. Temporary, because:

- the gTLD delayed saga will necessarily be the end of  the ICANN's
house of cards, needing too many lawyers to manage a technical
incongruity (introducing legal rigidity while demonstrating systemic
flexibility).
- ICANN having refused to cooperate to a post-IDNA2008 implications
strategy nothing has been prepared to match their "opportunities" as
the IESG phrased them.

At 15:51 24/02/2011, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>As for duplicates, I never understood why a .cambridge could not be
>used jointly by the various Cambridges in the world, ideally as a
>joint coordinated effort, but even if uncoordinated (after all, the
>.la - the ccTLD for Laos - is de facto used as a proxy for Los
>Angeles). Likewise for many types of names.

Money. Domain Names do not belong to their owner but to the TLD
managers. In a taxonomy a name is related to a stable concept. In the
ICANN system it is a yearly bill of an ICANN franchisee Your name DNS
syntax is "bertrand.la-chapelle". Should ICANN grant me
".la-chapellle" for $ 250.000 all included plus $ 500 yearly
operations costs, every "xyz.la-chapelle" in the world should pay me
$ 25 per year, with GAC support for IDNs becoming international ID.
Since there are 402 (de) La Chapelle in Paris alone, I can get $
10.000 per annum from Paris, and 15.000 from the North department.
Probably something similar in Quebec. Would it be a good business? I
do not know, but good or bad it would make me a good ICANN defender
with a lot of "(de) La Chapelle" demanding my stability, hence ICANN
stability, hence the US influence. stability.

jfc