[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 09:51:49 EST 2011

I was initially very much in favor of some sort of taxonomy, but ended up
accepting that the TLD "categories" would progressively emerge rather than
be pre-determined. This is what has actually happened as the respective
rules for geoTLDs, brandTLDs, and communiTLDs were developed, and I have no
doubt that grouping of registries of a similar type will spontaneously form
after the launch.

As for duplicates, I never understood why a .cambridge could not be used
jointly by the various Cambridges in the world, ideally as a joint
coordinated effort, but even if uncoordinated (after all, the .la - the
ccTLD for Laos - is de facto used as a proxy for Los Angeles). Likewise for
many types of names.

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <4D6589D7.40400 at communisphere.com>, at 17:27:35 on Wed, 23 Feb
> 2011, Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com> writes
>

>  1.  Both city-TLDs and linguistic/cultural TLDs are long overdue. Had the
>> Net's inventors known the scope the Net would take, they'd certainly have
>> taken greater care in issuing a more robust DNS taxonomy. But with cities
>> being the hope for a sustainable future (if you believe in that sort of
>> stuff)  I suggest they get first priority
>>

> Issues with the DNS taxonomy have been evident for a very long time (it was
> one of the things some colleagues and I struggled with when we set up an ISP
> in 1994).
>
> But adding on extra layer only solves some of the problems, because even
> for cities there are duplicates (eg "Lincoln" is a regional capital in both
> UK and USA, "Cambridge" is a well known University and regional capital in
> the UK, as well as a university town in USA).
>  --
> Roland Perry
>    http://www.igcaucus.org/

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")