[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Feb 24 05:14:23 EST 2011

In message <4D6589D7.40400 at communisphere.com>, at 17:27:35 on Wed, 23
Feb 2011, Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com> writes

>1.  Both city-TLDs and linguistic/cultural TLDs are long overdue. Had
>the Net's inventors known the scope the Net would take, they'd
>certainly have taken greater care in issuing a more robust DNS
>taxonomy. But with cities being the hope for a sustainable future (if
>you believe in that sort of stuff)  I suggest they get first priority

Issues with the DNS taxonomy have been evident for a very long time (it
was one of the things some colleagues and I struggled with when we set
up an ISP in 1994).

But adding on extra layer only solves some of the problems, because even
for cities there are duplicates (eg "Lincoln" is a regional capital in
both UK and USA, "Cambridge" is a well known University and regional
capital in the UK, as well as a university town in USA).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org