[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Wed Feb 23 17:27:35 EST 2011

I agree with CW and firmly believe that the ICANN's admirable but
unworkable one-application-fits-all approach for new TLDs be discarded.
And I see CW's proposal presenting a reasonable prioritization. However...

I'd like to suggest that group 2, "the public interest,
linguistic/cultural and geographical/city proposals" be divided into
public interest city-TLDs and linguistic/cultural TLDs. As a proponent
of city-TLDs, such a call can reasonably be seen as self serving, so let
me explain the split and the prioritization in favor of cities.

1.  Both city-TLDs and linguistic/cultural TLDs are long overdue. Had
the Net's inventors known the scope the Net would take, they'd certainly
have taken greater care in issuing a more robust DNS taxonomy. But with
cities being the hope for a sustainable future (if you believe in that
sort of stuff)  I suggest they get first priority.

2. If one were to weight the two categories for a degree of disruption
caused by not having a TLD,  I'd again go with cities for sheer number
of people who will benefit, with more than 1/2 the world's population
living in urban areas. (Now urban is not necessarily city, and I'll not
focus on that now, other than to note that we see the .nyc TLD
facilitating regional consolidation.)

3. The linguistic/cultural TLDs are potentially a can of worms for
nation-states with .kurd and .kashmir being two examples of where some
nation-states will strongly object. In many instances Nation-States were
created to meliorate problems of culture clashes and we should not
advocate taking that role from them lightly. Some, like those for native
cultures in North America, can be more easily processed than others, but
some degree of caution is warranted.

4. A minor issue, the city and cultural/linguistic are different enough
that they should be handled by different ICANN examiners.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt
http://bit.ly/OurWiki