[governance] Could the U.S. shut down the internet?

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 15:12:07 EST 2011

Dear Karl,

You have provided me a lot of food for thought but at the same time,
my confusion is not finding a starting point to think a possible
solution....the questions that are running through my mind at the
moment do touch new name systems for the internet but that may not
really be practical because it has a major risk of isolation on the
network....it may be otherwise but I cannot determine this isolation
on the network at this point.

What I need to understand now is (and this is truly an ideal dream
situation) whether this
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/27/technology/27torrent.html?_r=1 can
reach some kind of form where all governments sit together with
Private Sector and CS, Technical Community, Academic reps etc and
reach a possible consensus before carrying out such an abrupt decision
at a single country level on a global DNS/Root?

>  - Start your your root, populate it with pointers to your favorite TLDs (including TLDs not recognized by ICANN)

I see network isolation a possible threat here?

>  - Utilize the legal and political systems within that country to ask whether it is adhering to things like is constitutional requirements of due process and its rules of jurisdiction.

Right now the crack down is happening at the end of the creator of the
Internet..............is it a legal owner's hegemony and will it
remain that way that even after 9 years since the WSIS, the world is
where it was on Internet Governance?

 > - With a bit of technical juggling one could use either DNS proxies
or packet inspection/alteration to patch-back any data that was
altered by the registry.  I would recommend against this, however, as
it is probably going to end up a very deep swamp populated with very
hungry techno-crocodiles.

How would the above be done in reality and what would be the
short/longterm risks?

 - Ask whether you can legally clone the TLD.  If you can, or if you
are willing to pay $$ for the right to make a clone, then you can set
up your own version of the TLD.  Again, I do not like that approach as
it tends to violate my own rule that says that if a TLD exists then
the data in that TLD ought to be consistent and that users should shun
any TLDs that are in dispute and give different answers to the same
query.

Legally? Who defines the law? One country or a need for the
formulation of an international body to do so with which stakeholders
and what interfaces? This space is empty and legal hegemony exercised
by one country continues to be practiced at the cost of the global
network?

> I'd also strongly urge that one consider in those yet-to-be-invented systems that one clearly face the question whether the names should carry human semantic meaning - we all know the dangers that arise when human semantics are introduced.

Can you share an example because my experience has not encouraged me
to think in this direction? Human interfaces over the Internet for
domain names and addressing?

-- Fooo

     governance at lists.cpsr.org