[governance] Could the U.S. shut down the internet?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Feb 4 18:16:52 EST 2011

On 02/04/2011 12:05 AM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
> The question remains, in case of any country or website not complying
> to what the US approves, will face a shutdown?

If one objects strongly enough to US (or any other country) hegemony
over the DNS root then there is a clear technical answer:

   - Start your your root, populate it with pointers to your favorite
TLDs (including TLDs not recognized by ICANN)

That does *not* deal with the current issue, which is US (or any other
country) sitting on top of a registry to get that registry to alter a
record within a TLD.

In that case there are a couple of options:

   - Utilize the legal and political systems within that country to ask
whether it is adhering to things like is constitutional requirements of
due process and its rules of jurisdiction.

    Also ask a question that is rarely asked: does the government body
that is doing the sitting on the registry have the authority to do that?
  Here in the US things like ICE are administrative agencies that have
only those powers given to them by legislation enacted by Congress or
via treaty or via an Executive order; and all of those must meet
constitutional limitations.  Does ICE have the power via legistlation to
sit on a registry to answer a trademark complaint that is cast in terms
of in import that violates a US trademark?  In this case the answer is
probably "yes".  But does the US Dep't of Commerce or NTIA have the
legislative or other source of authority to ask for a trademark based
"kill switch" or even to charter an ICANN?  With regard to the latter
question the US Congress' own GAO has *twice* said "we can't find any."

   - With a bit of technical juggling one could use either DNS proxies
or packet inspection/alteration to patch-back any data that was altered
by the registry.  I would recommend against this, however, as it is
probably going to end up a very deep swamp populated with very hungry
techno-crocodiles.

   - Ask whether you can legally clone the TLD.  If you can, or if you
are willing to pay $$ for the right to make a clone, then you can set up
your own version of the TLD.  Again, I do not like that approach as it
tends to violate my own rule that says that if a TLD exists then the
data in that TLD ought to be consistent and that users should shun any
TLDs that are in dispute and give different answers to the same query.

There is another answer to all of this - which is to consider new name
systems for the internet.  I personally find this approach attractive,
particularly given that DNS fails terribly with regard to persistence
and does readily handle the kind of replication and proximity that
obtain with application entities living in "the cloud".  But unlike
others, I advocate retention of DNS names and the DNS system as the
tokens and machinery upon which such new naming systems (plural) would
be based.

I'd also strongly urge that one consider in those yet-to-be-invented
systems that one clearly face the question whether the names should
carry human semantic meaning - we all know the dangers that arise when
human semantics are introduced.

		--karl--

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org