[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:06:27 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the traditional IG processes that have served us well for many
> decades the "special interest has been overwhelmingly the development
> of the network.
> [snip]
> There is far less rent-seeking in IG processes than in our current
> governmental processes.
> [snip]
> > those areas, a stakeholder process might work and can be "trusted" not to
> > make special interest value choices along the way.  Outside technical
> > areas, where value choices must be made, the stakeholder structure will
> > help strongly to defeat common sense every single time, because all or
> > nearly all of the players are there for themselves,  and not to vindicate
> > the public interest or the common person.
>
> If this is the case, then it is a miracle that the Internet has gotten
> to the point it has.  I generally don't believe in miracles.
>
> In the times of infancy of a system such as the internet, the vast
majority of decisions regarding things along the lines of foundational
structures are things even special interests can agree on (recall, if you
read it, what I said about huge consensuses concerning certain basic
propositions from "behind the veil of ignorance" and just apply that to
certain basic actions in internet-development).

But now we are into later phases in most places (not in infancy) and
special interest politics will increasingly rear its ugly head.

But in any case, your presumption of harmony with special interests up to
this point is highly exaggerated, unless you've been somewhat sleeping
through all the debates and controversies about internet governance these
last years.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

> --
> Cheers,