[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:49:49 EST 2011

On 12/15/11, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:
>>
>> But "we" are not the Governments. We are the people, who have elected
>> those Governments and entitled them to care for us.  [snip]
>>
>> I for one, would prefer to see situation, where the Governments pilot the
>> plane that carries the Corporations.
>>
>> The point go "common sense" is that it is.. common. That is, everyone
>> understands it. Just like respect.
>>

> Now I understand your perspective better, and I agree with it. It strikes
> me as a democratic perspective at heart.
>
> The plane of democracy has been hijacked, and all I'm saying is don't blame
> the flight patterns on Democracy when the hijackers control the plane of
> Democracy. The hijackers are special interests that don't consider the
> common interest or common sense, as you express it.
>
> The special interest is a fatal flaw or serious challenge to achieving
> common sense.  At the very heart of the idea of gathering "stakeholders" is
> the notion of a stake - an interest of some kind in the process.  By
> gathering only the stakeholders, the only people at the table, by and
> large, are those with a special interest of some kind in the outcome,
> sometimes with token "public interest" representatives.   But, by gathering
> only or primarily those with a "stake" in the outcome, one is tending
> strongly only to gather those with special interests in the outcome.

In the traditional IG processes that have served us well for many
decades the "special interest has been overwhelmingly the development
of the network.

> The writers and thinkers I admire all identify *disinterestedness* as a
> critical factor for good government and good policy.  *But a truly
> disinterested person doesn't really have a "stake" in the outcome,* in the
> usual ways we understand what a "stake" is.
>
> *By gathering only those with a special interest stake in the outcome,
> internet governance by stakeholder processes works to nearly guarantee, for
> structural reasons, that the common interest or common sense you talk about
> is NOT achieved as an outcome. *

There is far less rent-seeking in IG processes than in our current
governmental processes.

The one area of exception appears to be
> technical questions where often there is a single right or best answer.

The one area where I disagree with Daniel is that there is usually NOT
a clear single "best" answer in Internet technical policy making.

In
> those areas, a stakeholder process might work and can be "trusted" not to
> make special interest value choices along the way.  Outside technical
> areas, where value choices must be made, the stakeholder structure will
> help strongly to defeat common sense every single time, because all or
> nearly all of the players are there for themselves,  and not to vindicate
> the public interest or the common person.

If this is the case, then it is a miracle that the Internet has gotten
to the point it has.  I generally don't believe in miracles.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org