[governance] A shame for the EC

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Thu Dec 15 06:00:45 EST 2011

Norbert,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

She is giving what seems to be some valid arguments in his favor.

> But I don't find what seems to me the key question, the one that I
> was referring to above (perhaps without descibing it in enough
> detail): Why was a person chosen who is burdened by (1) a rather fresh
> public scandal and who is (2) furthermore burdened by in the past
> having taken positions that are rather offensive to many of those
> activists for whom "part of Karl-Theodor’s role will be to reach out
> to those people, to ensure that their work gets the proper support
> and recognition.", and why was there not what I would consider a
> normal process of searching for a well-qualified and suitable person
> e.g. by means of a public job offer?

I cannot offer answers to questions (1) and (2) more than saying that
obviously Neelie Kroes considered the qualities and added value of
Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg advice - which is what he is going to do:
giving advice on the basis of, among others, contacts to relevant
people  -  out-weighted other considerations.

> If others agree that this is an important, so far unanswered
> question then maybe it should be pursued in a way that gives it
> at least a bit more weight than what from Mrs. Kroes' perspective
> is probably mainly a big noise of nearly-incomrehensible discontent.

For me the basic question is actually whether pursuing an answer
to this question - which remains your right to ask, of course - will
provide any added value to achieve the goals of this initiative which,
I tend to believe, are shared by many people as worthy.

Having said that, if this discussion needs to be pursued, it would
certainly help if it was kept at a level - in terms of form and substance -
that facilitates discussion. During the press conference, a German
journalist asked whether the appointment of zu Guttenberg meant
that the new policy of the EU with regards to China was that we
would now allow China to copy all of EU's intellectual property.

How is one supposed to react to that?

> > I would also like to stress that, as it is clear both in the press
> > release and in the blog post, Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg is an
> > *advisor*. He will not take decisions, which remain in the hands of
> > Neelie Kroes and, where appropriate, the College of European
> > Commissioners, other public authorities, the private sector and
> > other stakeholders.
>
> If I read Mrs Kroes' blog post correctly, Mr zu Guttenberg is
> intended to have a key role in the information flow from activists
> and experts an extremely important topic area (about which I
> personally care very much) into the EU's decision-making processes.

That is correct, although (a) the information flow will not only pass
via zu Guttenberg and (b) we need to be clear that the activists and the
experts are and will not be the only counterparts in this initiative. Which
is why it is important, in my view, to count on someone who can reach
out to people and environments which are not necessarily within the
reach (for practical and political reasons) of the European Commission.

> * Was the question of reputational risk for the Commission's efforts
>  "to promote internet freedom globally" adequately considered?

Yes.

> * Was the question of reputational risk for the experts to whom Mr
>  zu Guttenberg is intended to reach out adequately considered?

Yes, with the clarification above.

> * Is the overall process for filling important advisory positions, and
>  for deciding what kind of compensation is offered to prospective
>  advisors, adequate?

In our view yes, but I have a feeling this is not a question which you
want the European Commission to answer.

Best,

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.