[governance] China supports UK Internet Policy

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Aug 20 08:44:41 EDT 2011

In message
<CA+=oXBJQ1-8bBtka4vrzCUGBEPGW2cw90ZGZ=KS9P__GKZsgmQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
08:31:36 on Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Ivar A. M. Hartmann
<ivarhartmann at gmail.com> writes
>We can't forget that a curfew is a impediment on actions (violence,
>theft etc) and will therefore always be something different than
>cutting off communications or the free flow of information (incitements
>of violence, threats, planning of crimes).

I disagree. A curfew doesn't just operate inside shops which are being
looted. It applies to a neighbourhood, where people in the streets are
simply planning on robbing and burning, or even planning on assembling
in order to decide where to rob and burn.

>After we blur the difference between stopping criminal actions
>themselves and censoring communication that arguably leads to such
>actions, it's only downhill from there..

Censorship is about selective barring of communications. A curfew bars
them all.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org