[governance] Third (and final for now) phase of improvements to IGC website

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Aug 2 08:02:54 EDT 2011

I have just finished another major revamp of the IGC's website,
incorporating almost all of the suggestions that members had made.  We
now have:

    * A calendar of events, which integrates with the one from the IGF
      Community site at http://igf-online.net that has existed since
      2007.  All IGF events are already added: see
      http://www.igcaucus.org/calendar/2011-09.
    * A new, modern theme (the old one was the Drupal default, making
      our site look like thousands of others).
    * Much nicer lists of members, with full names instead of usernames
      (see http://www.igcaucus.org/list-members).
    * Additional profile fields, including a long free text description,
      and space to add your social networking and instant messaging
      contact addresses.  Most of these synchronise with our membership
      database, making the data available to other IGC Web applications.
    * Resources added by members can now be free-tagged, and will be
      listed chronologically and by tag on the resources page (see
      http://www.igcaucus.org/resources).

There are only two outstanding items that I am aware of:

    * I haven't made the site multilingual, because this is something
      that I can't do myself: it would require volunteers to translate
      the existing content into each other language.  But in the future
      if such volunteers step forward, it will be possible.
    * I can't implement the planned single password on the mailing list
      site (http://lists.cpsr.org/) and the IGC site
      (http://www.igcaucus.org) without help from the CPSR people, whom
      I've only recently contacted about this and am waiting to hear
      back from.

Enjoy the improvements!

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't