[governance] Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:51:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:38 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

<pissing match snipped>

>> I actually like the RIR system, in case you've forgotten, I just think it needs to be reformed in line with some very rapidly changing and important developments in the address space.
>
> To the extent that "it is time" for the Internet number resource registry system to evolve,

I think the Internet number resource registry system has been
constantly evolving, at least in the last decade or so since I have
been involved in those processes (and "evolve" is a far better term
than "reform" IMHO).

We have seen the NRO come into existence, had ICP-2 adopted, great
emphasis on outreach and capacity building (especially amongst gov'r
entities), including support for the IGF, RPKI and DNSSEC to name but
a few changes that are ongoing.

I'm sure we will see more evolution of this system, and I would hope
that more members of this Caucus come to one of the 5 tables (RIR
policy discussion lists) at their disposal to help shape this ongoing
change.

As much as I disagree with MM on many issues, it is unquestionable
that his voice has been heard, and has had some influence on the ARIN
PPML.  If more IGC members follow his example, then more CS
perspectives can be heard in these fora.

As I have said before, we can choose to focus on the actual IG issues,
or continue our focus on meta-IG issues.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org