[governance] Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 26 20:38:55 EDT 2011

On Apr 26, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> It's ARIN's legal opinion, as you know. Or do I have to throw ARIN's testimony in the Kremen case at you again? ;-)

Feel free, although you might be better asking someone who was present at ARIN's formation.

>> I'll note that at formation, ARIN agreed
>> with the US Government to provide registration services
>
> Yes, ARIN agreed to provide registration services to anyone and everyone in their region, but that doesn't mean it gained contractual obligations over them - i.e., over people who never signed a contract with it.

Yes (and indeed that cuts both ways...)

> But the simple truth is that the asset purchase agreement was modified because Microsoft agreed to modify it, after ARIN begged it to. Full stop.

Strange, that's not how I would characterize it, with the benefit of first hand knowledge.

>> ARIN has never asserted that registrants have no
>> rights with respect address blocks registered to them
>
> Who said it ever asserted that? I agree, registrants have limited rights of exclusive use under ARIN contracts.

Actually, registrants have limited rights of exclusive use under ARIN *policies* as well.

> I actually like the RIR system, in case you've forgotten, I just think it needs to be reformed in line with some very rapidly changing and important developments in the address space.

To the extent that "it is time" for the Internet number resource registry system to evolve, then there should be international discussion of the new framework, including appropriate mechanisms for involvement of all under multistakeholder principles. I would look forward to seeing such proposals and discussing their merits compared to the present system.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN