[governance] Re: Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Apr 26 12:27:27 EDT 2011

In message <4DB6D6A3.1090504 at digsys.bg>, at 17:28:51 on Tue, 26 Apr
2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes

>>> This assumption is grossly distorted. You are an ISP, if you provide
>>>any "Internet" services, to anyone.
>>
>> IXPs only provide services to their members (who in turn provide it
>>to  their customers).

>Some ISPs too, provide services to "members only".

We have that concept, called private (versus public) service providers.

>> And in the early days of IXPs, you often couldn't become a member
>>unless you had classic end users - pure content providers were excluded.
>These are more like business, than policy decisions.

It reduced the business of the IXP. But was following the policy set by
its members (and therefore owners).

>>> The RIR's assumption about ISPs is that these entities lease the IP
>>>addresses to end users for the duration of the service.
>>
>> And in what sense does Google's DNS server lease me an IP address
>>while I query its server on 8.8.8.8? Does PIR lease me an IP address
>>when I register a .org domain with them?
>
>I assume my English expression was inappropriate. I was referring to
>RIRs definition of "ISP".

I'm not sure they distinguish between ISPs and large end users. They are
all LIRs.

>Google and other DNS operators are providing Internet Services (of
>various kinds).

But don't need to issue IP addresses to the users, for the services I
mentioned.

>We need to make distinction between the TLD registry and the TLD DNS
>operator. For many ccTLDs these happen to be the same entities. For
>many gTLDs these are separate entities. For the expected large number
>of new gTLDs, in most cases the TLD manager and the TLD DNS operator
>will be different entities.
>
>It is only the TLD DNS operator, that provides any "Internet Services"
>(name resolution). The other part of the TLD operators business is
>merely keeping an up to date database.
>
>In any case, the DNS operator needs to be "independent" of their
>"upstream ISP" and in many cases these do not really have upstream
>ISPs, because their service is multihomed, especially when anycast is
>involved. This creates an entirely separate category of IP address
>space users.

I can't argue with that. These are the people needing IP address
allocations direct from an RIR, while not being large corporate end
users, or ISPs in the normal sense of the word.

>We have the option to either consider these "Internet infrastructure"
>or threat them just like any (other) hosting provider, because in
>essence what they provide as Internet Services is hosting DNS zones.

They are hosting a database, whose entries reflect registrations made by
others. Same as RIRs, actually.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org