[governance] Re: Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Apr 27 02:35:15 EDT 2011

On 26.04.11 19:27, Roland Perry wrote:

[on DNS operators]
> We have the option to either consider these "Internet infrastructure"
> or threat them just like any (other) hosting provider, because in
> essence what they provide as Internet Services is hosting DNS zones.
>
> They are hosting a database, whose entries reflect registrations made
> by others. Same as RIRs, actually.
DNS operators are my pet subject and I am glad this term has gotten
wider usage. Let's hope I am not going in unnecessary detail. This is
small part of the governance perspective, but often overlooked one, as
it is assumed to 'just work'. And it has, so far, due to the good will
of so many people.

There are two possible common things between RIRs and TLD managers.
Registration Services and DNS services. As it was already mentioned, it
is Registration Services that guarantee the various rights over the
registered object, be it IP address allocation or domain name. This is
the core function of both RIRs and TLD registries.

The DNS services function is an auxiliary function, but it is the
operational function that is necessary for the Internet's DNS to
function. RIRs handle the reverse-DNS lookups via in-addr.arpa and TLD
DNS operators, together with the root zone DNS operators handle the
forward DNS resolution.

It is this DNS service, that needs independent, globally routable and
'stable' IP address space. It is not the RIRs or TLD registries as such,
but their DNS operators - sometimes a subdivision, sometimes external
contractors, that need such assignments.

I believe, with more widespread adoption of the 'DNS operator' concept,
RIR policies will be adjusted. This may sound easier than it is, because
currently everyone knows who the RIRs and TLD registries are. Not the
same with DNS operators.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org