On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:31:35 EDT 2011

Hi Guru,

A little slow responding, but I did want to comment, as someone who has been working with students and others modeling alternatives such as - strictly open source vs - open standards/open interfaces vs proprietary protocols/standards. And of course I am speaking generally, and perhaps others should re-run analyses in other nations to draw their own conclusions:

Open source software often requires higher labor/maintenance cost since the technical personnel maintaining the system are more skilled and hence must be more highly paid - not that that is a bad thing.

Whereas closed/packaged software/proprietary systems are more idiot-proof  - that's part of what you pay for - so support/technical personnel are not as expensive hence lower recurring labor costs are incurred. Which is a good or bad thing depending upon one's point of view.

And the intermediary open standard/open interface ground is - somewhere in between and probably requires case by case analysis of trade-offs and specific licensing terms/fine print. Allowing widespread use and open innovation, hopefully, while - again hopefully - leading to a reaonable and non-discriminatrory split of revenues, if new products are coimemrcialized on top of the 'open standard/interface.'

In education sector, that would possibly translate to students and teachers being free to do whatever they wanted; but if they then tried to - sell to schools their new creations - then yeah someone might ask for a - fair and reasonable, ok possibly unreasonable - cut of the fee. Hypothetically speaking.

Perhaps/probably in India the relative cost equation is different than US given prevailing local wages and availability of skilled in the art personnel, and cost of package software relative to labor and other costs, and it is more open and shut in favor of open source at all times; but in US there are practical reasons a lot of small businesses who can;t afford skilled techies on staff.....stick with those big multinational offering to make life easier for a small biz...or a government agency's front line personnel. Including school teachers.

Lee