On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Sat Apr 16 08:08:11 EDT 2011

On 16/04/11 14:24, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> parminder<parminder at itforchange.net>  wrote:
>> On Friday 15 April 2011 08:55 PM, McTim wrote:
>>> NB: this is the same point made by PJS, just comes at it from a
>>> different perspective.
>>>
>>> Sure I can do that.  How shall I/we define what we mean by  NN??
>>>
>>> I think we are all for NN, just some of us have different definitions.
>>>
>> I dont think it is so. I completely agree with the definition that FCC
>> uses for NN (available at the link
>> http://www.cybertelecom.org/ci/neutralnprm.htm forwarded earlier by
>> Adam). And I have seen all serious advocates of NN  agree to such a
>> definition. This thing about different definitions is mostly a red herring.
> There's a similar phenomenon in the context of the conflicts around
> "open standards". Those companies who benefit from having a dominant
> market position together with customer lock-in via proprietary
> communication protocols and/or data formats typically don't argue
> against "open standards", but rather they agree superficially while
> getting involved at verious levels in the processes that shape
> actual practical policy with the goal of making sure that when
> actually implemented, the "open standards" policy doesn't achieve
> the objectives that were intended by its initial proponents.
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert
Interestingly, this is actually happening in India - in the 'ICTs in
education national policy' that the Federal govt is framing. The second
draft of this policy had a section requiring 'free and open source
software to be preferred' by schools/school systems. The third version
added a clause that 'open standards to be used' (India has recently
adopted a 'policy on open standards in e-governance' and provisionally
notified ODF as the default document standard) and dropped the free and
open source requirement ... Large (near) monopoly transnationals have
huge muscle power to create sufficient confusion/grey to obsfuscate
policy goals .... In our case, we have been able to network with eminent
educationists to write clearly on this issue
(http://www.itforchange.net/edu-policy) to the government yesterday and
try and resist policy obfuscation..

regards,
Guru