[governance] Proposed workshop text on global net neutrality

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:26:40 EDT 2011

As I see it, discussing net neutrality includes making en effort to
understand this "absence of infinite bandwidth", e.g. the allegation of
scarcity. Is such scarcity an inescapable fact or the result of an elaborate
planning by big Telcos?

I daresay there's at least one aspect of organizing this workshop that
everyone who manifested themselves so far seems to agree upon: we need a
debater with profound knowledge of the American experience with net
neutrality, especially of the legal aspects.
The discussion in the list on the FCC's current stance on this subject
illustrates this need.

Also, but much less important to the issue at point right now: If you're
going to mention advances in different countries that relate to this issue,
Chile's should be mentioned in addition or instead of Brazil's - they
actually enacted a law on net neutrality, we're still working with a rough
draft that so far (unfortunately) has no prospect of being approved in
Congress and in order to see the light of day.

 Best, Ivar

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 15:10, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com