[governance] "Mapping Internet Governance" workshop (was Re: Proposed...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 8 04:54:31 EDT 2011

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Miguel Alcaine <miguel.alcaine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Real IG (I would suggest Current IG vis a vis meta IG)
> > I believe the group (and many members) around this emailing list, as I have
> > said before, has the capacity, expertise and capabilities to work and
> > influence in what McTim calls real IG, which revolves around settings where
> > current decisions are taken. A workshop presenting and discussing this issue
> > will help clarifying the current mapping between foras, bodies, decisions
> > and impacts, and might help a lot of uninitiated people.
>

> Now that is not a bad idea at all.  Originally, I was thinking of very
> specific topics (see my proposal about power that I just sent), but
> this could be a very good way to do both capacity building on the
> Internet Model/Ecosystem AND actually push/pull people into actual IG
> processes.  I like it!

I agree as well that this is a great idea, and I would be interested
in being personally involved in organizing this workshop.

Question 1: Title of proposed workshop:

  Mapping Internet Governance

Question 2: Please provide a concise description of the proposed workshop:

  This workshop will explore where and how Internet Governance decisions
  are currently taken. What are the relevant fora and decision-making
  bodies? In what topic areas do they make decisions and with what
  kinds of impacts? How can individuals and stakeholder organizations
  make sure that their viewpoints and concerns are appropriately taken
  into consideration?

  Besides having a discussion of these topics in Nairobi, the workshop
  aims at initiating a multistakeholder process for creating a document
  "Map of Internet Governance" which addresses these questions, and for
  thereafter keeping this document up-to-date.

Question 3: Which of the five broad IGF Themes or the Cross-Cutting
Priorities does your workshop fall under?

  All the five broad IGF Themes would be explicitly addressed by
  discussing what are the main governance processes relevant to
  each of these themes.

  The workshop and its resulting "Map of Internet Governance" document
  will contribute to capacity building in all of these thematic areas,
  and to empowering individuals as well as stakeholder organizations to
  become directly involved in the Internet Governance processes which
  are relevant to their area of interest.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org