[governance] Criterion for charter voting

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Sep 29 16:03:48 EDT 2010

Seeing this problem has been raised, I think there are a few things that are
clear .

Firstly, there are no grounds for a challenge to the co coordinator
election. It is completely valid even if there are problems with the
subsequent charter amendment vote. So we do not need to do that again.

Re the charter amendment ­ Jeremy has heard the various calls and must make
a decision on how to proceed and his grounds for doing so ­ perhaps in
conjunction with both Ginger as outgoing coordinator and the newly elected
coordinator as well, but that I think is Jeremy¹s call. Options would seem
to include

1. separating the voters in some way to count only valid votes and voters
for the charter amendment. That would be nice if it could be done
2. Declaring the vote valid and reasons for doing so ­ in which case it
would stand unless an appeal was mounted.
3. Declaring the vote invalid or at least doubtful, and adopting the earlier
Parminder suggestion of using the same Nomcom pool but selecting two
different nomcoms which avoids the problem.

And of course declaring the vote valid would require that the 2/3 of members
had voted for it ­ not just 2/3 of the members who bothered to vote. It¹s a
high mark to reach as we found in the last charter amendment.

In this respect I recently forwarded to Jeremy a copy of the report on the
previous charter amendment and the reasoning adopted in declaring a valid
member vote on that occasion. That gives some sort of precedent that may or
may not need to be followed (I could not find it on the website but I think
it would be in the email archives)

I hope we can find a smooth and easy way forward. Process is important, but
it is at least equally important that we be functional and able to act to
meet our challenges, especially when the will of the membership is clear.

Ian Peter