[governance] International Internet Treaty proposed by Europe

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 23 09:02:58 EDT 2010

Hi All

Is it possible to get a copy of the document that was circulated at the
workshop # 60 held by CoE on the work of the expert group on cross
border Internet. From the TOR document of the expert committee I have,
this looks a very promising effort and I greatly look forward to the
outcomes. It seems to address very well all key cross border issue -
managing system security and stability, human rights on the Internet,
cross border net neutrality and the global public value of the Internet.

Would like to see how this effort connects to the open consultation on
enhanced cooperation that has to take place before the end of the year.

Everton Lucero of Brazil made the most important point (i read the
transcript) at the workshop that it is important to get all countries
involved right from the very start  in any such discussion on global
Internet policy frameworks - whether hard or soft. The danger is that we
seem to be going right down the path of cyber security treaty and the
ACTA, whereby there is this new tendency of some more powerful countries
negotiating treaties etc among themselves on issues and areas that have
by default global application, and then offer them to other countries to
opt-on, if they so please. Mostly, at least in the long run, there is no
option.

In the plenary on 'IG for development' the issue of equitable
participation from all countries in global IG came up  as perhaps the
most prominent issue (atleast, in my view). We need participation of
all, not just a selective stakeholderism. One of course has no problem
with regional groups discussing about and negotiating their own policy
frameworks, but the overall context has to be kept in mind. And this
overall context at present is the fact that no progress is being made
vis a vis the WSIS mandated process of enhanced cooperation, we need to
know and understand why, and come out with our respective positions on
taking the mandated process ahead, after, and as a consequence of, the
slated open consultation enhanced cooperation.

I propose that the Caucus, as a global progressive civil society IG
organization, makes a statement calling for participation of all
stakeholders of all countries in a global process dealing with the kind
of issues that the CoE process is dealing with, and that the respective
regional and national (like the Brazilian one) processes feed into such
a global process.

Parminder