[governance] FYI - ITU

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 11:12:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not followed it closely enough in the last year or so, but is there still a problem of national right of way being declared by coastal nations, where the coastal nations may get the advantages of the submarine cable, but inland nations are still pretty much blocked from the access?

I think that was a bogeyman propagated by inland states.  I am not
aware of it actually happening, but the WA fibers are only now coming
online.  When Regional carriers arise, as long as they are allowed to
cross borders, they will.

IIUC, Egypt made SEACOM move their fiber from one side of the Suez
canal to their side (for security of course) that was expensive!

> Or has this been resolved on a regional basis?

It would be if it came up I think.  There are regional regulatory
bodies in each region that can deal with this )non-existent AFAIK)
issue.

--
Cheers,

McTim