[governance] City TLD Governance and Best Practices Workshop - IGF Vilnius Invitation

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Sep 12 08:22:39 EDT 2010

  Fellow list participants,

Below is the email I sent to my fellow participants on the City TLD
Governance and Best Practices workshop a few days ago . This is an FYI
and invitation to the full list to likewise comment in preparation for
the workshop, and to attend the workshop on Friday at 2:30 if you're in
Vilnius. Send your thoughts / questions to the undersigned at any time.
Also, note that we'll have an exceptional workshop Remote Moderator in
Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond, so you can send those thoughts / questions
now or later.

Finally, I'll be departing on Finnair flight 6 from Kennedy today
(Sunday). Anyone else?

Tom Lowenhaupt

P.S. I'll blog from Vilnius at http://bit.ly/OurBlog.

-------------------------------------
Fellow City TLD Workshoppers;

In one week we'll be sitting down to discuss City TLD Governance and
Best Practices. Here I want provide some logistic info and encourage
additional collaboration to make our workshop as productive as possible.

    * *Logistics:*  I'm arriving in Vilnius at 11 AM on the 13th,
      staying at the Bernardinu B&B House
      <http://www.avevita.lt/en/conctact-us> in Old Town. I've one
      appointment that I'd rather not break, and that's Monday evening,
      from 7-8:30. Other than that, I'm in Vilnius to discuss, learn,
      and present more about city TLDs and their governance. So I'm
      delighted to meet and talk on the topic any time. You can get a
      feel for my schedule from this Google calenda
      <http://connectingnyc.org/come-to-an-event/>r. Note that I've
      scheduled a 6 PM meeting after the workshop at Vilnius University
      to unwind and interact with students. But much needs to be done on
      this, so consider it very tentative.
    * *Workshop Participants I:* There's good and bad news about the
      participants. Hawa Diakite ...  [had to cancel to trip] ... and
      thus she will not be sitting around the table with us in Vilnius.
      I'd looked forward to her presentation, which I'm sure would have
      represented a far different perspective than the participants from
      Western countries that will now dominate the workshop. I've
      encouraged Hawa to try and arrange for remote participation, but
      I'm not sure if that will be possible.
    * *Workshop Participants II:* It seems 2 of our members will soon be
      wearing new (bigger) hats. Bertrand de La Chapelle was nominated
      to serve on the ICANN's board of directors, and Sébastien
      Bachollet to ALAC. These new positions were announced on September
      7 by Wolfgang Kleinwächter, a third member of our workshop, and
      chair of the Nominating Committee. Congratulations and thanks.
    * *The Workshop Process:* I'll make a welcoming and scope statement,
      introduce the panelists by name and title/position, referring
      attendees to the IGF site for detailed bios - I'll have a slide
      for detail. (I can still get the bios updated, so send me
      changes/additions if you would like.) I'll give my 6 minute
      presentation (see below) then introduce the panelists in Alpha
      order (perhaps a good way to arrange seating also.) After the 6
      minute presentations we'll take questions from the remote
      moderator and finally from attendees.
    * *My Presentation:*  I'll show several slides - a few presenting a
      reminder of the historic role of cities, showing the age of
      cities, Greek city-states, and Hanseatic League... I'll  review
      the reasons the workshop is needed, and present a overview of
      what's been happening in New York City.  Then on to the other
      participants.
    * *Other Participant Presentations:* Werner Staub will be speaking
      on Name Space Mandates, a plan for the assignment of coherent
      name-sets to responsible trustees, and Sébastien spoke of a
      presentation on city TLD governance. Other than that, I've not
      heard what  participants plan on presenting. Let's share so as not
      to step on one another's toes.
    * *Getting Attendees:* I was told that I need to market the session.
      How is this typically done?

As far as outcomes, I see two areas badly in need of development:

    * *Research:* A fundamental look at the role of TLDs in modifying
      the social, political, and economic future of cities is needed. Is
      it "IGF-proper" to ask for a consensus from the workshop
      participants that such a endeavor is appropriate? And assuming
      there is a consensus, I'd ask as my Moderator Question - are there
      suggestions as to the who and how on that - both of the panelists
      and attendees.
    * *City Transparency and Engagement:* As far as I know, none of the
      cities preparing to apply for TLDs will be formally represented on
      the panel.  (I'm unclear as to the Berlin situation, which I'm
      sure Dirk will update us. And Werner Staub's firm is involved with
      several cities, but I suspect he will not be presenting on their
      behalf.) How can we create an awareness and resource that cities
      might draw upon in evaluating and developing their TLD? These are
      global resources and must follow various technical protocols, but
      providing mechanisms that encourage inter-city communication and
      sharing between cities has not been looked into with sufficient
      detail.

Your thoughts on any and all of the above are sought and welcomed.

Tom
Thomas Lowenhaupt, Founder & Chair
Connecting.nyc Inc.
tom at connectingnyc.org <mailto:tom at connectingnyc.org>