[governance] What is RPKI and why should you care about it?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Sep 11 20:27:52 EDT 2010

On 09/11/2010 06:14 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> That’s the rationale behind our Workshop on “Routing and Resource
> Certification.” It’s about the resource public key infrastructure (RPKI)
> being proposed and implemented to secure the Internet's routing and
> addressing system.

You are right in saying that those are significant matters - matters
that could give, in the extreme case, the power to turn-off certain
parts of the net (or rather, turn off information needed for packets
flowing *to* certain parts of the net to find their way.)

You say the Internet's routing and addressing system" - I note the use
of the singular form.  In practice there is not a single routing system
- there are fairly standard protocols (most particularly BGP) but those
are carrier-to-carrier rather than a unified mesh.  And there is an
overlay of unilateral, bi-lateral, and multi-lateral agreements (human
agreements turned into router configuration settings) that overlay the
information that is moved by things like BGP.  And, of course, we are
seeing a trend in which large content providers (like Google) have their
own private networks that they hook directly to large edge network
providers (such as Comcast) thus bypassing intermediate carriers.

Like fake-source email there is a problem with false or improper
announcements of routing information.  (I'm dealing with that kind of
problem myself - someone to whom I lent some address space some years
ago is refusing to stop advertising his use of the space - that suggests
that the issue goes deeper than "false identity" and can reach to
whether the entity announcing routing information is empowered to do so.)

Regarding the other use of the singular form to "addressing" - with the
increasing use of network address translation (there is even demand for
it in IPv6) it is becoming increasingly hard to say which is the dog and
which is the tail - is the "public" IP address space becoming merely a
means to connect "private" address spaces?

I ask that latter question with an intent to suggest that we might see a
future internet that is more "lumpy" than we see today.  The end-to-end
principle may fade and be replaced by an internet in which rather than
packets flowing unvexed end-to-end we see certain applications being
bridged across boundaries that vanilla IP packets can not leap.  In
other words the internet may evolve from being a seamless IP packet
transport and become something more like the mobile telephone networks -
certain basic features will work across providers but only because the
providers build explicit (although often hidden from user view) bridges
among themselves.

I have been slowly writing a note on how our perception of the internet
is changing.  We who have been on the net for a long time tend to view
it as a means of moving IP packets from one IP address to another.  Yet
most people who have come to the net since, say 1995, tend to view the
net not as a means of packet exchange but, rather, as a platform for
certain applications.

That shift of perception, from packet-mesh to application-platform,
radically changes our view of what is important to preserve on the net
and also changes the points where pressure may be applied for purposes
of imposing regulation/governance or creating anti-competitive regimes.

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org