[governance] What is RPKI and why should you care about it?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Sep 11 09:14:17 EDT 2010

One of the things I notice repeatedly about Internet governance is that civil society concerns about rights, governance and representation tend to lag far behind technical and infrastructural decisions. Those technical and architectural decisions often set the parameters around which we have to work. Too often, civil society intervenes too late, the basic structure is already set in place.

What's needed is for technical expertise to become more integrated with a political, rights-oriented way of thinking. But that requires better and current knowledge about what is going on technically.

That's the rationale behind our Workshop on "Routing and Resource Certification." It's about the resource public key infrastructure (RPKI) being proposed and implemented to secure the Internet's routing and addressing system. It could have a profound effect on the future of the internet and on the rights of ISPs and their users. The workshop, co-organized by the IGP and LACNIC/NRO, will be held on Tuesday, September 14 from 9:00-11:00 EEST (6:00-8:00 UTC) in Room 5 of the LITEXPO facility.

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/index.php/component/chronocontact/?chronoformname=WSProposals2010View&wspid=158

IGP has prepared a background paper on this topic, which can be downloaded here:
http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/RPKI-VilniusIGPfinal.pdf

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org