[governance] Many thanks for the congrats

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:31:59 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I have trouble coping with the numerous individual messages of
congratulations that I receive on the list and privately. So let me thank
collectively all of you who took the time to send best wishes. It is indeed
a big change as I will have to leave my current position in the French
government before Carthagena for reasons of incompatibility. But I knew it
when I applied and cannot complain.

It is a very big responsibility at a period of important decisions and I
understand the duty. Those of you whom I have traveled along with since the
early days of the WSIS and our joint creation of the IGC (cf. Wolfgang's
recapitulation a few months ago) know that I have not changed in the
principles I believe in and defend in the various incarnations of my
activities, including in my current role as official french representative.
They are the principles that all stakeholders endorsed in Geneva and Tunis,
including the most important of all : that solutions can only be found if
all actors are around the table to identify common interests or concerns and
that the diversity of opinions is not only a richness but also necessary. It
will be the same in the three years to come.

My nomination to the ICANN Board is bringing new responsibilities but as I
did not lose contact with people from CS when I joined the french government
and the GAC (as my posting on this list testifies from time to time) but
rather tried to bridge the gap and bring people together, I will not lose
contact when joining the Board with IGC or my fellow GAC and HLIG colleagues
nor any of the processes that I have devoted so much time in the last years.
On the contrary, I hope to help bridge some of the misunderstanding between
ICANN and other institutions as well as sometimes between the Board and the
community.

I volunteered for the Board because it is in my view the best place to be
able to act exclusively to help define the global public interest, and am
humbled (sincerely) by the trust the Nomcom has put in me. It behooves me to
learn first things I may not understand yet, before I can fulfill my duty
completely. But I will certainly continue to enjoy interacting with everyone
on the list and in person in ICANN or the IGF.

Thanks again for your congrats and I'll give more details about my
activities when I'll have found how to finance myself in a way that raises
neither conflicts of interests nor incompatibility with the bylaws. I have a
few weeks/months to find a magic formula and suggestions are welcome ;-)

Looking forward to seeing many of you soon in Vilnius.

Best

Bertrand

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")