[governance] FW: Blogpost: Open Data: Empowering the

jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Sep 9 07:47:47 EDT 2010

Eric,

information is the difference between what you know and what you
perceive, yet upto now people have considered information positively
and confusion (contradiction between what you know and what you
perceive), noise and disinformation as various forms of entropie
(negative information). This helps ICANN (and many others).

Actually, in the conceptual dimension of information the range is not
from silence to information, but from maximum information loss to
maximum information acquisition. Noise being structural, confusion
unvolontary, and disinformation planned. The ICANN communication is
semantically noisy using a model of network outside of common
reality, confused by lack of common pertinence and of coherence
resulting from its ambiguious charter (a tiny spot of the namespace
it wants to make a golden mine for some), and instinctive
disinformation to screen its lack of identifed deliverable. All this
because they have nothing to actually sell and however a long term
plan of survival expenses : the less we need them, the more they have to spend.

They could however try to produce something useful people would
really need. They have done something into that direction with the
IANA but Google wants it. They have tried the gTLDs but had a
conflict with technologies and GAC they tried to address with Fast
Track. Their problem now is that no one believes they will last very
long in their current status, due to the naming evolution decided by
the RFC 5890 suites they do not even want to consider while it
technically implies the end of the restricted DNS as we known it.
Class IN identificative (authority choses) names' ISO and generic TLD
is too small to resist against designative (I chose) and appellative
(we chose) diferent types of domain names. For years I never use any
kind of root server system (too risky!).

jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org